After a complete shutdown of all commercial cruises for over a year, cruise lines are back in action. Slowly but steadily, the cruise lines are reactivating their activity by studying new routes and launching brand new ships.
More vessels are adding Spain as a destination every day and scheduling calls in different ports around the country.
The Port of Barcelona has recently welcomed four cruise ships from different cruise lines that have docked for the first time in the city, all four serviced by Marmedsa Cruise Services; and as the tradition goes, a ceremony of plaques exchange was held on each of these occasions:
- The cruise ship Le Jacques Cartier of the French company Ponant Cruises made its first call at the Port of Barcelona on Saturday 10 October. The traditional commemorative plaque ceremony took place during the morning at the Barcelona North quay, in order to respect the Covid protocols. Attending the ceremony were the captain of the cruise ship Christophe Roger Antoine Dupuy; Mar Perez on behalf of the Port of Barcelona the head of cruises; Victoria Plank on behalf of the Barcelona Cruise Port terminal; and Cruise Services Director Marta Rodríguez, and Head of Operations, Laia Servet from the shipping agent Marmedsa Cruise Services.
- On 2 October, the Iona cruise ship of the British company Carnival UK made its first call at the Port of Barcelona. Its 14 nights long itinerary, began in Southampton (UK) and called at the ports of Vigo, Malaga and Alicante before calling at Barcelona, from where it started its return journey to the port of Southampton.
The plaques ceremony was attended by the Captain of the ship Andrew John Wolverson, Gemma Gracia on behalf of the Port Authority of Barcelona; and on behalf of Marmedsa Cruise Services Albert Pallares, Laia Servet and Gregorio Chiner.
- The cruise ship Bolette of the British company Fred Olsen Cruise Lines made its first call at the Port of Barcelona on 12 October.
This new port call by a ship of the characteristics of the Bolette in the Port of Barcelona confirms the progressive reactivation of the cruise sector and, by extension, of international tourism. The ceremony was attended by the ship’s captain Jozo Glavic, Mar Perez on behalf of the Port Authority of Barcelona, Victoria Plank on behalf of the terminal and Marmedsa Cruise Services was represented by its director Marta Rodriguez.
- On 19 September, the Borealis of the British company Fred Olsen Cruise Lines made its first call at the Port of Barcelona. On the occasion of this first call, the plaques exchange ceremony took place on the quay, respecting the Covid protocols imposed by the shipping company. Attending the event were The Captain of the ship Victor Stoica, the Immigration Police, Mar Perez from the Port Authority, Javier Rodríguez from Barcelona Cruise Port and on behalf of the shipping agent Marmedsa Cruise Services Marta Rodríguez and Laia Servet.
The agency Marmedsa Cruise Services will provide services as the ship agency for a total of nine cruise calls in the Port of Valencia by the end of this year, which during these past weeks, has greeted some vessels and their crew to commemorate their first call.
- The World Navigator is a cruise ship of the company Mystic Cruises, docked in Valencia this past 30 September, with 142 American cruise passengers. Our Valencia Branch Manager, Ricardo Llerena, the ship’s captain and some representatives from the Port Authority, attended the traditional plaque ceremony.
- The Vasco da Gama, also from Mystic Cruises with a length of 219.4 m and a GT of 55,877. The vessel visited the port of Valencia on 19 October, with 438 crewmembers and 529 passengers on board. The plaque ceremony took place on the port and Ricardo Llerena joined the Port Authority of Valencia to greet the ship captain.
Apart from these welcome ceremonies, Marmedsa Cruise services has managed over 15 first calls in various Spanish ports. The visit of so many new vessels suggest a very promising future for the cruise sector and a very fast post-Covid recovery.
For more information on cruise services, please contact us: email@example.com